Catherine Stafford, Managing Attorney, grew up in Bloomington, and has deep roots in the community. She founded Stafford Law Office, LLC, in 2004 and enjoys working with clients to craft individual solutions.
Catherine is a Certified Family Law Specialist, as Certified by the Family Law Certification Board. She is a Registered Domestic Relations Mediator and enjoys working with her clients through the mediation process as well as mediating cases as a neutral. Both Catherine and Kara are trained in and frequently practice Collaborative Law, a formal framework for putting clients, instead of courts, in the driver's seat in a divorce or separation.
In 2010-11, Catherine worked with a group of local attorneys and Judges to update the Monroe County Local Family Law Rules, including updating the Financial Declaration into a computer-editable spreadsheet that helps streamline the production and exchange of financial and child-support information in dissolution.
Catherine participates actively in the Bloomington Association of Collaborative Professionals (BACP), a local practice group of attorneys, mental health professionals, and financial professionals, working together to further the use of Collaborative Divorce as a means to help divorced families have better financial and mental health outcomes for the adults and children.
She lives with her husband and their three children and enjoys remodeling old houses, hiking, gardening, and knitting.
Bar Admissions & Credentials
- State of Minnesota, 1997 (inactive)
- State of Indiana, 1999
- U.S. District Court for Northern Indiana, 1999
- U.S. District Court for Southern Indiana, 1999
- Registered Domestic Relations Mediator, 2005
- University of Minnesota Law School, J.D. 1997
- Recipient, 1996 Minnesota Justice Foundation Outstanding Public Service Award
- Participant, Wagner Labor Law Moot Court
- Founder and Editor, The Public Interest Dimension
- Student Body President, 1996 - 1997
- Indiana University, Bloomington, B.A. in English, Medieval Certificate, 1993
- Minnesota State Bar Association Legal Assistance to the Disadvantaged Committee, 1997 - 1999
- Hennepin County Bar Association Disability Sub-Committee, 1998 - 1999
- Volunteer Lawyers Network, 1997 - 1999
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Monroe County Bar Association
- International Academy of Collaborative Professionals (IACP)
- Pro Bono Service
- Minnesota Justice Foundation, 1994 - 1997
- Haitian Refugee Project, 1995
- Minneapolis Legal Aid Society, 1995 - 1997
- Mound-Westonka High School Mock Trial Team, Coach 1995 - 1999
- District 10 Pro Bono Project, 1999 - current
- Protective Order Project
- League of Women Voters of Bloomington-Monroe County, Inc., Board of Directors 1991 - 1994
- League of Women Voters of Minneapolis, Inc., Board of Directors 1996 - 1998
- United Way Community Services of Monroe County, Inc., Board of Directors 2000 - 2003
- Old Northeast Neighborhood Association, Member 2001 - 2005
- Bloomington Restorations, Inc. Rehabilitation Award for The Showers Bridwell House, 2003
- City of Bloomington Historic Preservation Commission Rehabilitation Award for The Showers Bridwell House, 2003
- Buskirk-Chumley Theater Management, Inc., Board of Directors 2003 - 2006
- Monroe County Democratic Party, Treasurer 2004 - 2005
- Council of Neighborhood Associations, Board of Directors 2005 - 2006
- Highpoint Neighborhood Association, Member 2005 - 2007
- City of Bloomington Commission on Sustainability, 2005 - 2007